Day 8 May 10, 2012
Well another day of class down and a museum visited. Today
we had class along the Spree River in a grassy little park area. It was really
nice but I was kinda tired so I dozed off a little. Class was relatively short.
The worst part was the walk there and deciding where we were going. McInnis is
trying really hard to keep us away from internet during class so we walked
around a bit and went ended up going a few stops over on the U-Bahn. Today in
classed we talked about Nazi Germany so it wasn’t a super new class it was a
lot of stuff we were sort of familiar with just with a bit more detail. After
class was over around 11:00 we went to the Deutsches Historisches Museum. The
DHM is a huge museum on Museum Insel. Which is a island of museums basically in
the center of the city. The exhibits range from about 700 B.C and went to all
the way up to 1994. It was amazing there was so much history and interesting
information all over the place. We also had an assignment to keep in mind while
we were there. We had to pick an object and write 400-700 words about what it
was and why it is signicant. Some of the
things in there included Hilter’s desk, a model of the planned Volkshalle
(which I wrote my paper on), some WWI posters, a knight in shining armor, old
maps and silver. Just a bunch of random stuff. After the museum (around 1)
Kristin and I went back to Alexanderplatz and got a Crepe for lunch at the
train station. They were so good. I had Apple sauce with cinnamon sugar and
Kristin had Cherry jelly. Then we ate as we walked to the Alexa. Alexa is a
HUGE mall in the Platz with tons of amazing stores. I spent way too much money
but had a really good time and got lots of cool stuff. I bought some shoes, a
ton of postcards, some of my favorite pens, naked man cards, and a book titled
“German Grammar in a nutshell”. Im really excited for that J
At the mall we met up with Abbey Nate and Ryne and shopped
and had a good time. At 5:00 we decided to head back to the apartments and
settle in for the night. Kristin and I decided to make dinner. I made
Maultashcen (sorry spelling sucks) with a garlic tomato sauce. Yummy!! Then we
took out the trash and after a bit of trouble opening the gate to the dumpsters
and realizing we were trying to use the wrongs ones we sorted our trash and
then went to the store to return bottles for our refunds and get some more
groceries. When we got back we wrote some postcards and chilled with Travis. Travis
went to bed around nine and Ryne came over and talked to us for a bit. Later
Kristin and I went out to try to get internet but the server crashed and we
couldn’t get on. Probably from Sarah being on it ALL THE TIME! But we still
wrote our papers for class tomorrow and talked with Ryne, Collin, and some
other people at the backery. Then we came back here and just talked, cleaned
our room, took showers, and got ready for bed. This trip is going so fast but
it feels so at home, I’m not really sure I want to go back. But I do miss Phil
and really wish he was here with me again.
Travis’ girlfriend is coming up tomorrow and spending the
weekend with us. I’m excited to meet here and I think it will be fun to have a
new face around. Charlie is really getting to me, I am tired of hearing about
how great Munich is compared to Berlin, he can go anytime.
There has been significantly little drama on this trip and I
am really glad. I like the have fun get along atmosphere we have going on and I
only hope it lasts. I keep forgetting that most people have only been here
since Sunday so it has only been 4 days for them instead of my 8. Wow 8 days
down and only 3 weeks to go. What am I going to do?! Time flies!
No comments:
Post a Comment